Honeycomb Shelves are Hung

Today I finished hanging six honeycomb shelves.

Honeycomb Shelves-6sm.jpg

I began building these one week ago, spending at least 3 full days in the woodshop cutting the wood and building the boxes, and several visits to paint the finish and finalize assembly.

This project was definitely a stretch for me in terms of getting perfectly fitted angles and cutting glass mirror for the first time, but it was worth the patience.

Honeycomb Shelves-1sm.jpg

Right now I’m working on the video that details how I built this. It will be a three-part series because there is a lot to go over as well as some repetition of steps where I made improvements.

My First Video

I put my first how-to-build video up on YouTube today! It took me a week to edit and I hope to be getting faster at this. Please check it out and check back frequently. I’m working on my second video currently and I promise it will be even better than this one.

Planer Cart

I built a stand/cart for my Dewalt Planer. That heavy beast lived on my floor for almost a year and I’ve had to drag it out every time I wanted to plane a board. Video coming soon!

Planer Cart-6.jpg

This basic cart was built using scrap 3/4” plywood from other projects, $5 worth of douglas fir wood studs, extra hinges that I had lying around, and four nice $10 locking casters that I felt like splurging on.

It’s very simple: an open box on top, a box on bottom, four legs and a fold-out shelf. It’s sturdy and doesn’t tip over. I chose the height such that it would spit out wood right onto my assembly table, which is around 3 feet high. The width is about the same as the planer and the depth is longer than the base of the planer, about 2 feet, for stability.

Planer Cart-2.jpg

Wall Mounted Media Console

We just moved into a new house and needed a place for all of our karaoke equipment, speakers, cable box, wireless router, etc., so I built this media console in a day.

20180805_174935.jpg

I had been researching wall-hanging units, because I wanted to float it above my partner’s wrestling mats, which took up most of the living room and was also our only sitting area at the time, but they were expensive! I was looking at $1,000-$2,000 units and they probably wouldn’t fit our stuff anyway.

My media console cost under $100. I built it out of poplar wood using pocket hole screws and glue. I measured my equipment the night before, bought the wood the next morning, and built the console in a day. It took a couple more days to stain and topcoat, though. I screwed it directly into the wall, not bothering with any sort of cleats or brackets.

20180803_175710.jpg

If I could do it again, I would have been more careful about the glue squeeze-out. Part of the reason for the dark stain was to hide the dried-gluey parts where the stain couldn’t penetrate. Also, I would have cut larger 2-inch (instead of 1-inch) holes in the divider panels to allow electrical wires and plug ends to slide more easily through. I had to make the holes larger after installing the console, which was awkward.